Related Posts with Thumbnails

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Birth Plan


We're looking forward to sharing our birth experience with you. We have created this birth plan in order to outline some of our preferences for birth. We understand that there may be situations in which our choices may not be possible, but we hope that to move toward with our goals as much as possible and to make this labor and birth a great experience. We do not want to replace the medical personnel, but instead want to be informed of any procedures in advance, and to be allowed the chance to give informed consent.

Labor
-Please do not perform routine prepatory tasks (shaving, enema, etc.), unless requested.
-I expect that doctors and hospital staff will discuss all procedures with me before they are performed.
-I will remain hydrated by drinking moderate amounts of fluids (water & juice).
-So I can stay as mobile as possible, I would prefer to have a heparin lock administered instead of an IV.
-Please do not administer an IV or heparin lock unless there is a clear medical indication that such is necessary.
-I would like a quiet, soothing environment during laborwith minimal interruptions.
-Please limit the number of vaginal exams.
-Please do not permit observers such as interns, students or unnecessary staff into the room without my permission.
-To preserve my privacy and dignity, I would prefer that everyone knock before entering.
-The only persons allowed in my room during birth should be my husband, Nate Bruno

Labor Induction/Augmentation
-I would like to avoid induction unless it is medically necessary.
-I would like to try alternative means of labor augmentation, like walking or nipple stimulation, before pitocin or artificial rupture of membranes is attempted.
-If induction is necessary, I would like to attempt it with prostaglandin gel or another means before pitocin is administered.
-Please do not rupture my membranes artificially unless medically indicated.

Cesarean Section Delivery
-I feel very strongly that I would like to avoid a cesarean delivery.
-If a cesarean is necessary, I expect to be fully informed of all procedures and actively participate in decision-making.
-I would like Nate Bruno to be present during the surgery.
-If possible, I would like to breastfeed Our daughter immediately after the birth.

Perineal Care
-I prefer not to have an episiotomy unless it is medically indicated.
-To avoid episiotomy or tearing, Nate Bruno or my labor assistant will perform perineal massage with oil and apply hot compresses.
-To help my perineum stretch, please help guide my pushing efforts by letting me know when to push and when to stop.
-Please administer local anesthesia when repairing any episiotomy or tear(s).
-Please suture tears only if necessary.

After birth
-Please place Our daughter on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery.
-I would like to breastfeed Our daughter immediately.
-The doctor will cut the cord.
-Please remove my IV/Heparin lock/catheter as soon as possible after delivery.

Newborn Care
-Please evaluate and bathe Our daughter at my bedside.

Postpartum
-I would prefer not to be catheterized until I've had some private time to attempt urination on my own.
-If available, I would prefer a private room.

Breastfeeding
-I plan to breastfeed and want to nurse immediately following the birth.
-I would like to know more about breastfeeding.
-I would like to meet with the staff lactation consultant.

0 comments on "Birth Plan"

Post a Comment

 

Bitty Bruno Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez